Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Your Afternoon Scare Tactic

When I read this, I actually dropped my Nutter Butter (less fat than a Ritz Peanut Butter Bite!). Apparently, some “scientists” have a very “scientific” Doomsday Clock, with which they can “scientifically” tell us how scared shitless we should be. It’s all very science-y, but here is what you need to know… if you never want to sleep again.

“We stand at the brink of a second nuclear age… symptomatic of a larger failure to solve the problems posed by the most destructive technology on Earth.
…We have concluded that the dangers posed by climate change are nearly as dire as those posed by nuclear weapons… Over the next three to four decades climate change could cause drastic harm to the habitats upon which human societies depend for survival.”

Of course, just as I am trying to convince myself that the situation can’t be all that bad, I hear that it is snowing in Malibu for the first time in 45 years. It’s like the freaking Day After Tomorrow over here.
The only consolation I can offer you folks, is the notion that these Doomsday Scientists also thought we were “five minutes to midnight” back in the Cold War, and all that came out of that was the following cinematic screen gem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

duck and cover, that funny. like that would protect you from an atom bomb. As far as the blog, the difference is what scientists thought people might do and what mother nature will do!

MadMegan said...

That's true. But how can they put a time frame on when Mother Nature will strike? As I mentioned, it snowed in LA 45 years ago, people probably thought it was the end of the world back then too. Not that I am denying global warming, I am just in denial in general.